Oct 11, 2010

The Myth We Call Perfection…

Me and some cute ladies in our ward put together a Relief Society Dinner last week,  The theme was “Chicken Soup for the Soul”, I had so many crazy ideas and plans that I wanted to incorporate but I have an awesome committee and they keep me grounded! We decided to keep it simple, and we had the sisters in the ward bring a  bunch of different soups and salads, if I really knew how to pull it off, I’d try to make THESE: you can buy them at Broulim’s, Albertson's or Mrs. Powells in town at the bakery.

IMG_3214
Aren’t they cute?! Pumpkin Bread Bowls. I love it!
Anyways, back from my tangent… I asked an awesome sister in our ward to speak on John Lund’s talk “The Myth we Call Perfection”.  (She made the night)
We did simple decorations
You can click any to enlarge. I used branches off my dad’s crab apple tree, but you could definitely use fall leaves as well. Or just  branches for that matter, pine tree branches would be pretty too. Because I’ve had some already ask me for a break down of it all here we go:
Menu:
Soup, Salad, Home made Rolls, Pumpkin Rolls for dessert & Carmel Pretzels for a favor for the sister’s to take home.

Napkins found at Walmart. Vases found at the $1 store.
We spent about 45 minutes eating and visiting, I also turned on some of my favorite music, David Tolk
Then we had the speaker and that was it. Sweet & Simple. I loved it and I hope the sisters in my ward did too!

DSCN7205 DSCN7211 DSCN7213 DSCN7220
Speaking of The Myth We Call Perfection:
My cute friend Laura posted THIS link on her blog, WOW. Talk about eye opener. Do you know anyone around you that seems too perfect? I know I have a list of amazing women that I look up to and admire, and wish I had their talents! BUT… you know what we are all trying our best, and my best should definitely not be compared to any women on my list! We generally compare our worst attributes or bad habits to someone else’s best! The two articles that I read talked about being REAL. Sharing our insecurities with others.
Do you want to know what?
I like to sleep in & stay in my PJ’s until noon!
I get really grumpy when I’m hungry.
I spend too much time on the computer (I’m working on it)
I get mad, frustrated & often raise my voice at my kids. I wish that I had more patience.
Some days I feel like I am failing as a mother.
I really struggle with rejection.
I want EVERYTHING in my world to be perfect, and I often hurt feelings, and drive my others especially my husband and kids crazy in the process.
I get overwhelmed with all the things I say yes to.
I worry about what others think and say about me.
I’m often a little shy in large groups.
I once became so obsessed with my weight & what I didn’t like about myself I developed an eating disorder.
I don’t always get my exercise done every morning like I would love to.
I’m insecure about the way I look & dress.
I would love to host parties and entertain more, but I let my “perfectionism” get in the way!
I like to spend $, I wish I was better at saving.
These are just a few of the little things I struggle with- I don’t even dare start with the big things. My life is definitely not perfect. We all struggle with things, big & small.
But in the end I KNOW that My Heavenly Father & Savior love me. That there is a new day to strive to do better. That if I can just become a little less self absorbed, and look past my insecurities and failures, I realize that I’m learning and growing and THAT is good enough. Love much...and do the best you can, with the best you have.
We had some YUMMY recipes at Recipe group last week! Thanks Nichelle for hosting!
I made this:
DSCN7192
side note: I LOVE the holiday peeps, it’s fun to dress up any serving dish with them!
Also we can’t forget about our Give away winners…
Let’s choose 3!
I used Random.org
Comment #10 Hilarie

#12 Lisa

#14 Amanda

Email me at sunshineinmysoul_33@yahoo.com with your mailing address and the color you want!
And I’ll get them out to you asap! Yay for cute felt flowers!!