Jan 22, 2010

Perfection…

For some reason I had a hard time getting going today. Brooklyn came in half way through the night and of course her dad let her snuggle in. So this morning, I was hesitant to get up with such a sweet little thing still by my side. This week I’ve had an overwhelming sense of love and well being. Sometimes in life that seems rare. Especially when all around us we see despair and lost hope. I think about the many, many people all over the world, who need hope. Right now of course I am thinking about those beautiful people in Haiti. I wish there was more I could do.
I have much to be grateful for.
Want to see one of the things I am looking forward to?
I think this looks like SUCH a fun documentary, I can’t wait to see it!
Speaking of movies…
I’m not a huge fan of suspense movies, but I thought I’d give Zach a break from Chick Flicks
and I rented State of Play out of the Red Box, last week, it was good. It’s an older movie, but a goodie!
images
Tuesday, Brooklyn’s grandma called and invited her to come decorate Valentine cookies, she was in heaven. She told everyone that came to the door that day ALL about it.
valentine-cookies
{image courtesy Google}
Well me and Braxton decided we should make some cookies too. We tried out a new recipe,
DSCN4966
while they don’t look very appetizing, don’t let the pictures fool you. They have this delightful, and energizing hint of lemon in them, perfect for a refreshing treat in the middle of your dreary winter day.
I posted the recipe HERE.
While Braxton napped and Brooklyn was at Grandma’s I sat down to listen to a CD that my mom had given me. It was called “The Myth of Perfection” by Gerald N. Lund
It was yet another breath of fresh air. If any of you get the chance to listen to it, DO! It was just what I needed to hear. I fear that I am not the only one on a mission of perfection though. When will we be good enough? When will we be able to do enough for those around us? When will we stop trying to be Perfect? When will my home be clean enough? When will I be the perfect weight? When will I master the art of cooking, decorating, being a good mom, etc, etc. Never. I can love much and try my best though. And really, that is ENOUGH.
As I listened to this amazing talk, I felt the spirit. I felt my Heavenly Father’s love for me, and for those around me too. I felt a deep sense of satisfaction with my life, and where I am at personally. It was one of those tender mercies from above.
Then to remind me once more I came across this:
If I were Satan and wanted to destroy a society, I think I would stage a full-blown blitz on women. I would keep them so distraught and distracted that they would never find the calming strength and serenity for which their [gender] has always been known.
Satan has effectively done that, catching us in the crunch of trying to be superhuman instead of striving to reach our unique, God-given potential within such diversity. He tauntingly teases us that if we don’t have it all—fame, fortune, families, and fun, and have it all the time—we have been short-changed and are second-class citizens in the race of life. As [women] we are struggling, our families are struggling, and our society is struggling. Drugs, teenage pregnancies, divorce, family violence, and suicide are some of the ever-increasing side effects of our collective life in the express lane.
Too many of us are struggling and suffering, too many are running faster than they have strength, expecting too much of themselves.
AND MY FAVORITE LINE--
...We must have the courage to be imperfect while striving for perfection.
To read more go HERE.
Funny that the word I picked for the year was Abundance. Abundance in all things good. You know what I’m already finding out? Abundance does not necessarily mean MORE, for me it means doing less of the unimportant things, so I can ENJOY more of the important ones.
To top off my week, I got to spend the afternoon in the temple. {thanks to my sister-in-law Linda for watching my kids!!}
Tomorrow, I get to spend the day with my favorite guy. I get to listen to him speak for a Success Symposium. He’s pretty much the best, and stinkin’ cute too boot! ;)
I hope that you each have an abundant weekend, full of everything, you love!